Friday 10 February 2012

100 % SHITS - Celebrity Edition

For years, music producers have known an adoring public will purchase music from their favourite stars. Having the ability to sing always ran a third to their looks and personality. Here is a list of some of my favourite albums and songs from some of the least likely of stars.

Back in 1981, while on a family holiday i saw an album in K Mart Keysborough that would stay in my subconscious for years to come. It was called "Footy Favourites" and I remember wanting it but my father saying NO!! Way before Mark Jackson let the world know he was an individual oh how i wanted to hear Footscray great Kelvin Templeton singing "Who's sorry now?" or Hawthorn full forward Michael Moncrieff belting out a copy of Stings "Don't stand so close to me". Oh how i wish novelty albums were released like this now.


" Christmas with your Neighbours "

When Neighbours was the powerhouse it was. Music producers decided that the cast should release a Christmas album. Despite the fact it didn't contain Kylie, Jason , Craig McLachlan or anyone who could carry a note (Sorry YTT's Mark Stevens). The unsuspecting public was faced with Harold and Madge warbling through crap carol after carol.  We wished Stefan Dennis would rock out a Christmas rendition of his hit "Don't it make you feel good" but alas we were left disappointed. It peaked in the New Zealand charts at number 45 and chart positions in the UK seemed to be erased from the Internet to save their music credibility.



But my favourite is the double banger "All my friends" by the cast of Sons & Daughters and  "A Country Practice" If you can ever find a copy of this at a garage sale, GRAB IT. It is the funniest thing you will hear since the last Kevin Rudd speech. Sergeant Gilroy singing "As time goes by" and Pat the rat attempting to hold a note during the song "Friends" will keep you chuckling for hours to come. I just cant imagine the cast of Packed to the Rafters releasing an album of covers........ Quick i had better go before Channel 7 gets wind of the idea.


What do you remember being a crap novelty album?

At least Sylvania Waters Noelene only had one single.

2 comments:

  1. Haven't heard of a single one of these, but I will say my most favourite song years ago was the Gary Sweet cover of "Most people I know (think that I'm crazy)" that was on the Police Rescue cassette, I wore that thing out I listened to it so many times.

    And the guy that plays Ben on Packed to the Rafters did release an album a year ago or something, so don't be too surprised if your nightmare comes true.

    N

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugh Sheridan's debut album definitely qualifies as a novelty...

    ReplyDelete