Monday 19 March 2012

Kylie Anti-Tour - Word is out and it is some kind of Bliss

Now lets get something straight from the start. For about 15 years there was only one woman in my life, so much so my parents must have been worried I was never going to get a girlfriend ( as time went on this was proven to be true ) I loved Kylie Minogue and not in a way i could rationally explain. I purchased everything from singles, 12 "releases and albums, and not just once. I had to have every format from around the world. 8 massive scrap books full of gossip and fluff, but I enjoyed it. When it wasn't cool to like Kylie I was front row at Rod Laver ( formally National tennis centre ) to get my fill of her PWL brilliance.  For Christ sakes I even had a Kylie Themed 21st birthday party with a cake. If that wasn't flashing the warning signals for my parents then i don't know what else would. As I got older my funds wouldn't allow me to continue my obsession so i reluctantly stopped. While moving once, My flatmate decided to put all my discarded memorabilia back in the truck because he knew I didn't really want to throw it out. Something i need to thank him for, Putting on ebay years later raised a lot of funds. I think it was Bette Midler who said " These Gays will buy anything " *(citation needed) especially 12 scrap books for $800.


So it was with excitement that Kylie announced her 25 years Anti tour for her super fans. I would still class myself as one especially with all the vinyl and rarities i still own. B sides, Rarities and forgotten tracks that when stripped down would make my "Big Gay Out"
2000 fans crammed into the palace theatre in Melbourne and my the entertainment started before the show began. Middle aged women dressed as princesses and a large part of the community still convinced they can slip into a small t shirt when a large would suit better was worth the ticket price alone. I had been to a few memorable Kylie shows over the years including her 30th Birthday surprise gig at Melbourne's mercury lounge, as well as the 'Enjoy yourself' pre tour at Cadillac Bar in 1990. If this was to beat any of these exclusive gigs then it was going to need to be Amazing.


But lets get to the show. Starting with unreleased track 'Magnetic Electric' and then kicking into B side 'Made in heaven' from the original Kylie Album era. Simplicity is sometimes best as Kylie found out. Brilliant tracks from the Enjoy Yourself album and quite simply the finest album Kylie ever released "Impossible Princess" (Drunk / Say Hey) Had the crowd in awe of her brilliance. The super fans were singing every word and shrieking with excitement as the first few bars of the next song started.
Stripped back of the dancers, water features and sequence that a Kylie Show has represented for over 23 years. Our Queen came out in a simple pair of denim shorts and Marilyn Monroe t shirt often pointing out members of the audience who had turned up to see her in a setting rarely seen. Pointing out her parents a collected cheer at the woman who incubated two of pops finest, to many Carol Minogue is a self contained Diva factory. Hearing Kylie's pure voice sing the beautiful 'Bittersweet goodbye' from the Light years album would put any critic back in their seat over the Singing budgie tag that has followed her around since day go.

Finishing on what every super fan was doing "Enjoy Yourself" had the crowd in rapture. As we left it was not a surprise that many of the crowd was lining up again to see show number 2. I expect the next Kylie tour to be a little stripped back and back to grass roots. Kylie seemed to have a smile on her face for the entire show and amazed at the crowds ability to know all the words. but hey, That is why we are super fans.


Now with Jason Donovan's 25th Anniversary next year. Lets hope the Moonee Ponds reception centre has a night free so we can celebrate also.

No comments:

Post a Comment